How Do I Reset the Check Engine Light on my RAM 1500?
To reset a check engine light on a RAM 1500, simply follow the three easy steps below:
- Disconnect the negative cable from your battery
- Wait 20 minutes
- Reconnect the negative cable
This should be all that you need to do to rest the computer in your newer RAM 1500 model. In some older models, you may need to complete an additional step. It could be necessary to drive the truck for up to 50 miles to re-calibrate the computer.
Keep in mind that when you disconnect the battery, the computer is not the only thing that could reset. It is likely that the security system or other electronic systems inside the vehicle will also reset once the battery is reconnected.
As you can see, it is relatively easy to reset the check engine light on a RAM 1500. However it is still important that you get your vehicle checked out by a professional to see why the check engine light was illuminated. Take a look at some of the common culprits below.
Why is My Check Engine Light On?
Reasons for the check engine light to come on can range from simple fixes like tightening the gas cap to more complex issues like having to repair a faulty solenoid. Because of this, it is essential that the issue is diagnosed by a trained service technician.
- Make Sure it’s the Check Engine Light: Some dashboard lights, like the service required light, could resemble the check engine light. Your owner’s manual should show you what the different dashboard lights look like.
- Check Your Gas Cap: This is the most common reason a check engine light comes on, and fortunately it has the simplest solution. All you have to do is make sure the gas cap is properly secured. Then disconnect the battery, as described above, reconnect it, and the check engine light should turn off.
- Check the Codes: The computer in your vehicle generates error codes to make it easy to diagnose what is wrong with your vehicle. An automotive diagnostic scanner can read these codes to tell you why the check engine light is on. Many of these can also clear the code and turn off the warning light. If you like DIY vehicle maintenance, you can purchase a code reader yourself. However if you feel more comfortable leaving this to the professionals, bring your vehicle by the service center at Buchanan Auto Park, Inc..
Rely on the Service Experts at Buchanan Auto Park, Inc.
New vehicles are quite complex, so if you notice any issues, there’s no need to worry. The highly-skilled technicians at Buchanan Auto Park, Inc. know the ins and outs of the CDJR lineup, so you can trust us to get your vehicle back on the road in a timely manner. We can even help you check your transmission fluid to make sure you’re not running on empty. Schedule a service appointment with us today, or contact us with any questions.
More About the 2019 RAM 1500
If you’re on the prowl for your next truck, then we recommend taking a look at the 2019 RAM 1500 specs. The RAM 1500 engines offer three different ways to experience this powerful pickup. From the standard V6 to the optional V8 and the best-in-class eTorque Mild Hybrid System, you’re bound to find a perfect…
Contact Us Schedule Service To reset a check engine light on a RAM 1500, simply follow the three easy steps below: Disconnect the negative cable from your battery Wait 20 minutes Reconnect the negative cable This should be all that you need to do to rest the computer in your newer RAM 1500 model. In…
The all-new 2019 RAM 1500 reaches up to 20 mpg city/25 mpg highway with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine, eTorque capability, and front-wheel drive. It also has strong efficiency throughout the model line, including best-in-class 4×4 fuel economy. Explore its mpg estimates at Buchanan Auto Park, Inc. to see how you can save money at Chambersburg gas pumps….
The 2019 Ram 1500 weight ranges from 4,798 lbs and 5,374 lbs before being fully loaded up or hooked up to tow a trailer. Its design allows it to provide high towing capabilities as well as the max payload capacity. In terms of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, it offers between 6,800 lbs and 7,100 lbs….
The 2019 RAM 1500 offers best-in-class V8 towing of up to 12,730 pounds, so you can easily transport your gear to and from Hagerstown, or be ready to work on the jobsite in Chambersburg. That’s even more V8 towing capability than the 2019 Ford F-150. Learn More View Inventory Why Buy from Buchanan? RAM 1500…